Tuesday, September 6, 2011

August memory Work


In the month of August I began a new memory work venture. Prior to August, my memory work had been fragments of scripture, taking from the suggested verses of our church bulletin, plus those that I memorized with the intention of knowing certain doctrines. Good verses each week, but no flow and no connection (except when we memorized an entire Psalm at different times or it was doctrinal based). As well, only one verse a week. And, for a long while I thought I had been storing up verses, but to find I really am not retaining unless I'm using them in song or speaking them out loud in talking with others.
The last couple of years I have gone back and forth over whether I should start memorizing chapters of the Bible. I first read about this in John Piper's book, When I Don't Desire God. His method concentrates on one verse a day, with the intent of memorizing chapters and books of the Bible.
So, the first of August I started in the book of John. My goal: John 1:1-18.
OK, so I did it, by the grace of God, by August 31st. Not exactly one verse a day - but it got done and I'm glad for it. That encouraged me to launch into Colossians 1. My goal: get as much memorized before the end of the Women's Bible study Fall semester.

No comments: